Out of the blue I got a last minute cake order last week...
so naturally I was all excited to see what I could create!
It was a retirement cake for a friend's father-in-law... and although I wanted to do my first golf-themed cake for Dado someday, I didn't have much of a choice... for he too lived & breathed golf! Go figure?! On the bright side, our kitchen floor stayed clean with Ming & Bing catching anything I might have dropped!
I haven't quite perfected the art of laying out perfect fondant... as you can see below with all the imperfections in the blue... but hey, practice makes perfect, and I need all the practice I can get!
I have to give credit where credit is due... I gave a big ball of Rice Krispy Treats covered in white fondant and gave it to Alec to make a golf ball out of it. I figured he would know more about what a golf ball looks like than I would! I have to admit... not bad, not bad at all!
Overall, I think it really turned out better than I imagined it would! And of course my friend and her father-in-law absolutely loved it! Another happy (and loyal) customer... and another successful cake in the books! Hmmm... anyone craving cake right now besides me???






OK..definitely want to put in my order for one of those for Dado!!! This is unbelievable and sooooo very clever/creative! Is the golf ball made of cake or just of fondant? Would like to lay on your kitchen floor with the key-dens and watch you do one sometimes;-D Great Job!!!!
ReplyDeleteWOW!!!!! That is so totally awesome! Did you come up with idea yourself?!? That is so cool... Hamp says he wants to "dive in" and eat the whole thing! Wish I were there to watch, too - I'd sit with Mojo and M&B and eat all the scraps!!! Love you - happy 4th!
ReplyDeleteSorry...so engrossed in the pics..didn't read carefully about the golf ball topping! What a nifty idea using the rice crispie for the ball...How clever you are! And Alec, nice job on your assignment;-D
ReplyDeleteHappy Fourth!
Hey you ladies, I wish I could take all the credit for the creative design, but I definitely lack in that area... in most of my "artwork" I need a picture for inspiration, so hopefully someday, I can create the full version for Dado ;-)
ReplyDelete