Friday, October 26, 2012

Got Milk?

Just when I thought it was going to be another boring day at home... with Alec off at work and Allen and I just itching for something to do or somewhere to go, our neighbor Aubrey saved the day and invited us to join her and Allen's little buddy Nathan, for an afternoon visit to DeJong's Dairy Farm just up the street in Lake Elsinore for a tour... and to discover where milk comes from. (Or if you ask Allen, where chocolate milk comes from!)


When we first arrived we were greeted with
a few friendly sheep and goats in a small corral.


The fence openings were just big enough so that Allen could squeeze his little hands through and pet all the animals.



Turns out Allen was Mr. Popular... as he was the only one amongst his friends to have a comfy chair and a table to sit his snacks on.


Toddler social-hour.


The tour began by taking us to the cow feeding line-up
with about 100 cows all eating at the same time!


We were so close we were praying none of the them would sneeze!


Our next stop brought us up close and personal
with some of the younger cows at the farm. 


Allen got to see a two-week-old cow and saw her drink her bottle...
which in turn reminded him that he had his own.


"Excuse me... can you kindly tell your mom
I say thank you for all the delicious milk!?"


We also got to see where the cows get milked
and where they package all of it for sale.


And last but certainly not least... and what made the entire one hour tour worth while... chocolate chip cookies with fresh cold chocolate milk!


It was Allen's very first time enjoying such chocolaty deliciousness!


Needless to say, he was very excited
when he learned he could have a refill!



It was a great experience to share with Allen and such a joy to see all the kids share the same looks on their face who see farms and their animals as such a novelty.  It reminds me not to take my childhood for granted... for I grew up going to my grandparents farm, milking cows, petting baby calfs and taking orders from grandma to chase and catch chickens for dinner!


I guess it is up to me to teach Allen Jess about what I know, what I have seen and where I have been! And yes, that really is me... on the right.  :-)

3 comments:

  1. OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!!!

    So, that was a cool post from the beginning - I love seeing Allen's little hands reaching through the fence for the animals! And all the little kids together - looks like a great outing.

    But to throw in the picture at the end, made me so happy to see little Jei and her cow! I love reading about your childhood and how you relate to Allen's life now... you are such a good momma! Love you - aunt moo ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! This blog was great! You must have felt happy to see Allen in the environment you grew up in. And the picture at the end, PRICELESS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post! I loved seeing Allen's reactions to the cows and the other little peeps;-D Best was the way you pulled it all together with your pic in the end...very touching..

    ReplyDelete