Sunday, September 19, 2010

Sometimes I Surprise Myself

My most (and only) loyal customer, Rebecca, has ordered yet another cake!  She gave me a picture of what she wanted the cake to look like about two months ago... and actually paid for it a month in advance!

I started the baking process (my least favorite part!) on Thursday with great trepidation!  I had never made a square cake that required such perfect corners before... so needless to say, I wasn't feeling very confident going in to it!  Once I got home from work I went straight to the kitchen to start baking.  Four long & exhausting hours later, the cake was baked and the first coat of frosting was put on before I finally had to call it a night. 

I picked back up where I had left off on Friday night... where the decorating process (my favorite part!) took center stage!  After experimenting with a few new techniques, and eventually adding them to my little bag of tricks, I made sure those corners were nice & neat and up to (my high-quality) standard.  I have to admit, getting those corners just right was frustrating without a doubt... but actually not as bad (hard) as I thought they were going to be.  I was definitely concerned about how the cake was going to turn out; and to tell you the truth, I almost didn't accept the order for fear the cake would ultimately end up on "Cake Wrecks"!  So although it was frustrating, time consuming, and stressful, I'm glad I took the order on and impressed I didn't give up... for in the end, I think it came out pretty darn good!  
Below is the photo she gave me of what she wanted her cake to look like.  She only requested two tiers (or just enough cake to feed 30 people), she wanted the same color "ribbon" on both tiers, and she also requested the classic bow on top to have two loops instead of three. 


And this of course, is my version.  
Not bad for my first square cake, huh?



Next up: the dreaded wedding cake in three weeks!
Wish me luck... I think I'm going to need it!  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment