This week I accomplished my greatest baking fear: making a wedding cake! After many months of worrying about what I was getting myself into, planning and coordinating with the bride, and changing the design literally four different times... the delivery has come and gone and I couldn't be any happier or more proud of myself!
The baking and decorating process didn't take any longer than usual (even though it was my first four tier cake!), but what took plenty of thought and sleepless nights was having to figure out how I was going to get the cake to the venue! Because of the sheer size and weight of the cake (after tallying up all the ingredients, the whole cake weighed just shy of 40 pounds!), and the half-hour drive to get it there... the transportation part of the process was my biggest worry! So the morning of delivery I woke up extremely excited for I was already so confident & proud of how everything was going... but I still had one big feat to accomplish; I still had to get it there!
The baking and decorating process didn't take any longer than usual (even though it was my first four tier cake!), but what took plenty of thought and sleepless nights was having to figure out how I was going to get the cake to the venue! Because of the sheer size and weight of the cake (after tallying up all the ingredients, the whole cake weighed just shy of 40 pounds!), and the half-hour drive to get it there... the transportation part of the process was my biggest worry! So the morning of delivery I woke up extremely excited for I was already so confident & proud of how everything was going... but I still had one big feat to accomplish; I still had to get it there!
Below is the cake the bride chose. I call it "The Inspiration Cake"
for I converted it into a round cake and added a fourth tier.
So I packed the car, cranked up my AC and started my 29 mile drive which seemed more like 50! My palms were sweaty and I swear every pothole and pebble on the road seemed 100 times bigger! I had the two bottom tiers stacked and ready making the trip in the trunk, while the other two top tiers sat on a cookie sheet on the front seat with nothing but a prayer keeping them from sliding and smashing into the seat and/or the door!
But by the grace of God... all was well & intact when I arrived at the house! There was plenty of help to unload the car, so the only thing left to worry about was the final product. The house had an awesome industrial freezer to help with the handling of the top two tiers when stacking, and it also had a big audience which surprisingly didn't make me nervous at all. In the end, I got all four tiers stacked and looking beautiful for the newlyweds!
Believe it or not (and much to my surprise!), it was a lot smoother process than I thought it was going to be! It also turned out a lot better than I thought it was going to be too. To say I was a little nervous going into my first ever wedding cake would be a ridiculous understatement! But through the stress & my nerves, I got through it and I have to admit, I'm very proud of myself for taking on such a monumental cake... but more importantly, I'm even more proud of how it came out!

Oh... my... goodness! That is stunning... I think I like your cake waaaaaaaay better than the "inspiration cake"! Nice work - you are truly amazing!!!!!
ReplyDelete