Alec & I welcomed week 25 of our pregnancy in New Smyrna Beach, FL. Not sure if baby liked the heat, humidity, sand, ocean, and the "no-see-ums"... but I have no doubt with a little help from his grandparents, he'll learn to enjoy it just as much as we did! (Except of course for those annoying no-see-ums!)
Almost hard to believe we're at 25 weeks already... but even harder to believe that our little baby boy is growing & developing into a little person right before our eyes! Just the other night we were sitting on the couch together and I felt him move & kick, so I told Alec to look at my belly and with the way the light was shining from the laptop computer screen, you could totally see all the movement that was going on in my belly... and we just looked at each other and I told Alec how amazing I still think it is that there's a little person in there!
Anyway... this week baby 'E' is inhaling and exhaling small amounts of amniotic fluid, which is essential for the development of his lungs. These so-called breathing movements are also good practice for when he's born and takes that first gulp of air. Also, he's continuing to put on baby fat and should weigh about a pound and two-thirds and measure approximately 14 inches. (Sorry, but no visual aid this week!)
His bones are becoming solid now and his hands should now be fully developed. His tiny little feet are about 2 inches (5cm) long and his hands are very active (yeah, no kidding!). Believe it or not, he can already learn and remember... and can also recognize its mother and father's voice (he's going to think his name is 'Ming & Bing'!).
For the first time ever, his wee-little eyelids have finally opened (remember: they were fused shut previously), and he's probably having his first moments of sight as you read this. In addition to taking in his first visual impressions of his comfy amniotic-filled studio, our little human-bean recently acquired the ability to move his head around.
And finally, the structures of his spine begin to form -- all 33 rings, 150 joints and 1000 ligaments. His tiny brain is growing rapidly, and he is starting to fill the space in my uterus... which just so happens to be about the size of a soccer ball now! (Seriously?!) Also, as we have just begun to learn, touching and playing with our little guy is possible now, as he sometimes responds to our touching, poking, & shoving through my belly wall. What fun!!!
Oh how I miss our little "ButterBean"...and you two as well!!! Sorry about the no-see-ums .. guess I left that out of the memo ;-D
ReplyDelete