Sunday, November 10, 2013

Ebb & Flow

Allen was about a month away from turning two when it suddenly dawned on me... his flying free days are rapidly coming to an end! So with that mind, I began to browse the Net to see what ticket prices were up to. Shockingly, I found airfare for two to Florida in mid-September at an amazingly low price. I was so excited to find cheap tickets (for once) that I think I actually bought the tickets before even calling up Moe-Joe or Dad-Oh to see if they had any plans or if they were even going to be home then! So for Allen's last free flight, we took him to see his beloved grandparents for a week of fun in the sun!


Arguably one of the best parts about visiting Moe-Joe & Dad-Oh
has to be the trips to our favorite beach!


The yearly Etheridge family trips are pretty much tradition at this point. We obviously didn't get to do a week-long beach trip this past summer, so Jei & I made it priority number one on our to-do list for the week. 


We all agreed that a day-trip would be better...
considering this was going to be Allen's first real beach experience.


Not to mention how Allen reacted when we tried to get him to walk on the beach earlier in the year here in California. Once his little feet touched the grainy sticky sand, it was an absolute epic meltdown!!! Allen wanted nothing to do with the beach that day. Needless to say, we were all a little worried and anxious to see how he would react this time around. Let's just say we were prepared for a really short day at the beach. 


As with most new experiences with our little monkey offspring... there was definitely a warming-up process involved. I don't think Jei nor I really knew what to do or how to get Allen comfortable with such a new environment... but I suppose that's what Moe-Joe & Dad-Oh were there for.  They both grabbed a hand and walked him right out into the ocean! It took him a while to get used to his feet sinking into the sand and the ebb & flow of the waves, but he eventually got used to it and realized, "Hey, this is pretty cool!"  



Moe-Joe was some sort of ocean dwelling sea creature in her previous life... so she felt right at home hanging out with Allen in the warm water.


Jei finally finished lathering up back at camp and eventually joined Moe-Joe & Allen down by the water to cool off a bit... either that or she just really had to pee.


Allen just isn't a fan of being dirty or having things stick to him... whether it be dirt or sand from the playground or a tiny little pebble or a Cheerio that got stuck to the bottom of his foot. Needless to say, I was super worried that Allen wasn't going to enjoy the whole digging in the sand experience! 


Of course that's one of my favorite things to do when I go to the beach... dig and play in the sand! Fortunately, it didn't take very long for Allen to get used to and not mind so much all the sand all over him... which of course made me a very happy dad!  


"Can I play with my truck now Dad?
You've had it for like an hour already!"


Gas & airport parking: $$$
Roundtrip airfare to Florida: $$$$
Playing in the sand with your son: Priceless!!!


With Dad-Oh reading (falling asleep) in his chair, and Allen & I playing in the sand, Moe-Joe & Jei were left to relax and enjoy some girl time together.


Moe-Joe & her two boys at the beach...
I'm pretty sure her happiness level was off the scale!



Allen was just as content as could be sitting in the sand and enjoying the water flow back and forth. Seeing him so happy certainly made the day for us and put big smiles on our faces!


We sat in the sand at the water's edge for a long time... enjoying the water, the sunshine, and watching Allen play... that us until a really big wave came and almost washed him away! We all laughed of course... but Allen didn't think it was very funny.


Speaking of tradition... playing a little 'Pro Kadima' on an Etheridge beach trip is kind of like having sand at the beach. You can't have one without the other!   


Naturally, Allen wanted in on the action too!


Allen got a few hits in here & there...
but he was a much better cheerleader & ball-boy than anything!


It wasn't pushin' triple digits, but it was still pretty hot. That of course didn't keep us from finding shade, relaxing and enjoying a wonderful day.


Later that afternoon... Allen got so comfortable with his new surroundings, that he got up, walked clear away from camp, turned his back to us, sat down and just started playing in the sand all by himself! (Definitely his father's child!) 


But when the rising tide threatened our camp...
Allen was called upon to help dig out the trench.


Lucky for him, he had his very own dump truck at his disposal.


Wet, dirty, sandy... and absolutely loving it!


Allen watches with great interest...
as Moe-Joe challenges me to a duel!
"If I win, Bubba stays here with me!"


One last dip in the ocean.


"Man, this beach thing is super fun!
I have got to come out here and visit more often!" 


King of the castle!


There really isn't a better way to finish off an incredible day at our favorite beach than with an amazing meal at our favorite dining establishment!


We quickly washed off, got dressed, and put on a ton of perfume & cologne to mask our beach B.O., and then made it to dinner looking halfway decent and very happy (to eat!). 


Of course not everyone had a smile on their face and was happy!


Between playing on the beach and in the sun pretty much the entire day without a nap, the poor little guy was completely exhausted by the time we got to the restaurant... and was literally falling asleep!



I can't tell you how thrilled we were to know that our little day-trip to the beach was such a success! Everything from the weather, the crowd, the water, and Allen... it was all just so perfect. Thank you Moe-Joe & Dad-Oh for such an amazing day, and of course an incredible meal. Can't wait to do it again! 

2 comments:

  1. Yeah!! so happy to see the beach trip finally posted...I was beginning to think I had dreamed the whole thing ;-O What a wonderful day we had!!! Bubba was a great little Beach Bum ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh!!!! So jealous! The pictures are a amazing - looks like it was a beautiful day. I would have sat in the water, dug in the sand, played pro-Kadima and especially let Bubba fall asleep in my lap at dinner if I had been there! We definitely need to coordinate beach trips next year....

    Oh, and the pic of Bubba pushing that dump truck brought a lump to my throat - have almost that exact pic of Hamp. Love it!!!!!

    ReplyDelete