Friday, July 4, 2014

Avoiding the Blazin' Heat

Literally just a few days before my two days off of work were coming up that week in mid-May, I happened to look at the weather forecast on my handy-dandy phone app and was shocked when I saw that a heat wave was moving in and we were gonna get triple digit temps all throughout my weekend! I immediately put my thinking cap on and began to come up with ways to avoid the sweltering heat that was about to hit us. We didn't have anything planned - so the weekend was pretty wide open. 

First thing that came to mind was just to spend my two days off in the pool at home. Inexpensive for sure, but the house was going to be cooking all day long in the heat so it was going to be an oven in there by the time night fell... and spending the night in the pool just wasn't an option, nor did I feel like blasting the A/C all weekend! So the 'stay-cation' by the pool at home was ruled out... and the idea of going to the beach was sounding more and more like a great idea... especially when I realized that we own a toy-hauler and we could actually camp on the beach for the weekend! Obviously, the stars aligned and we found space to camp right on the beach for two nights and avoid the ridiculous heat back home.


The heat wave definitely hit... and hit hard! Coupled with high winds and extremely dry vegetation from lack of rain, brush fires began to pop up all over the place! On our way to the beach, we hit traffic as a fire had sprung up only a few hundred feet away from the road. We got lucky and timed it perfectly, as the road got shut down only a few minutes after we had passed. It was definitely a surreal experience once we got to the beach. Here we were right on the beach enjoying the beautiful weather and the majestic Pacific Ocean... and then we looked back and turned to our left and saw this... 


Then we looked to our right and saw this...


And then we looked straight back and saw yet more evidence of the devastation that was happening around us! Fortunately for us, our home was never in danger... but a lot of other people's homes were.


The fires were definitely causing a lot of damage and causing a lot of grief for a bunch of people... but a few miles away at the beach, all we saw were clear sunny skies and happy smiley faces!


After getting all settled in, Allen and I went on a mission... to see just how cold the water really was. But then suddenly, Allen heard something. He turned, pointed, and shouted out!!!


I had no clue what Allen had shouted out (no surprise there!), but he definitely got my attention... and we both got super excited at what we saw! It was a military convoy of AAV's (Amphibious Assault Vehicles) passing by...  


And we wasted no time in getting closer to get a better look! With the beach being right next to the Camp Pendleton Marine base, I knew seeing something like that wouldn't be much of a surprise... but it definitely was super cool to see them all up close and pass by like we did.


And while Allen & I were busy daydreaming we were driving those tanks... Jei relaxed in the shade and Jack worked on his tan in the sunshine. 


Me and my crazy Boyz... happy to be at the beach!


It was finally time to grab the shovel, some buckets, and of course a "Moto"... and head down toward the water to do some playing!


Back up at the trailer... where it was snack time for Allen,
and playtime for me and Jack!


Such a happy little fella!


A little later that evening and it was just about dinner time. I fired up the grill and let the coals get nice & hot... while I relaxed with a beer in hand, watched the sun go down, and had a good father-son talk with Jack.


Beer, carne asada on the grill, on the beach, at sunset,
with the family... just doesn't get any better than that!


Me, Jei and Allen all stuffed our faces with carne... while Jack hung-out playing with his toys... and wishing they tasted a little less like nothing, and a lot more like carne! 


Jack's dinner came soon thereafter...
but delicious carne asada it wasn't.


That night the temperature dropped just enough to where a nice bonfire was most definitely warranted. Allen & I gathered up all the wood, the lighter fluid, and of course the lighter... and tried our best to start our own fire. 


I just about lost my eyebrows and all the hairs on my arms...
but we finally got the fire going.


Allen loved sitting by the fire and getting those cold little toes nice and toasty. He especially loved it when I sprayed lighter fluid on the fire and made the flames go way up into the sky! 


So much so that he cheered and yelled
for me to do it again and again!


Apparently the fire just wasn't cutting it...
so some reinforcements (blanket) were brought in. 


Warmin up those sweet little toes!


With Jack already asleep in the trailer...
poor Allen had to take all of Momma's extra lovings! 


I must admit... it felt a little weird and silly trying to start and keep a fire going when most of Southern California wanted nothing more than to extinguish the ones they already had going! Nevertheless, it was a perfect night for one and it made the day complete. 


Jack & Jei slept together up in front...
while Allen & I had the back all to ourselves!


Jack saw Allen and how much fun he was having
snuggling & playing with Daddy in the back...


So he made his way to the back, kicked Allen out,
and snuggled up with his Daddy.


Day Two: Another beautiful day with nice warm weather.


We made the trek down toward the water
with our E-Z Up, chairs and toys... 


And spent the day having fun diggin in the sand.


"Nope... sorry Dad, not quite deep enough yet!"


I took a break from diggin holes... while Mommy stepped in
to play with Allen and build some sand castles.


Meanwhile... under the shade, with the cool ocean breeze and the sweet sound of the breaking waves... Jack just couldn't resist getting in a little shut-eye.


Certainly not a bad place to take a nap.


Jack finally woke up... but instead of being happy to see us and smiling for the camera, he was way more interested in all the sand and how much he could fit in his mouth and eat!


It was just too warm out and the water looked way too inviting not to try and enjoy it as much as we could (tolerate it!). Jack is definitely the braver of the two... as he put up a courageous effort and braved the cold...


Whereas his older brother didn't want
anything to do with those cold California waters!


Jack taking a break from playing in the water
to practice his crawling skills a little.


Momma and her boys...
taking a break in the shade from all the fun in the sun.


This was literally just about how far I made it in the first day... but that second day, I put on my big boy pants, took a very deep breath, and dove head-first into a wave! I didn't last very long... but at least I can say I made it all the way in!


After a quick lunch break back up at the trailer...
Allen & I got right back at it with all our sand tools and toys.


With the military right next door... I felt it appropriate to teach Allen how to build his very own "fox-hole" and how to keep from being seen in it!


Man... those afternoon post-lunch naps sure do hit hard!


A couple of sweaty sandy dudes...
headed for the water to wash off and cool down.


Allen didn't much like hanging out in the cold water...
but he certainly didn't mind jumping a few waves.


Watching Allen & I play in the ocean put a smile on everyone's face!


Later that afternoon... after all the digging, building and sand play we could handle, we brought down Jack's stroller and Allen's trike, and we all took a long stroll/ride along the beach.


Allen hasn't quite figured out peddling yet...
hence me pulling him around everywhere.


We walked all the way down to the jetty... and saw that we could walk on top of it out into the ocean, so we did just that.


At the end of the path, Allen made sure
to tell his Momma just how much he loves her.


On our way back, we spotted a really cool playground...


And of course Monkey Boy just loved hangin-out!


And Sweet Baby Jack just loved to sit and watch his big brother play.


 That night it was burgers for dinner...
which Allen & I enjoyed thoroughly!


A long day in the sun playing on the beach can be completely exhausting... or perhaps these two had just a little too much to drink that last night?!


As much as we wanted to stay another day and enjoy more of that good weather at the beach... sadly, we had to pack up and head back home. So after we all finally got up and moving, Jei and I started to close up shop... while Jack insisted on staying in bed and being lazy.


We avoided the scorching heat, the blazing brush fires, and happily got out of the house for a weekend... all to enjoy a little family time together on the beach... where the weather was much more enjoyable, we made our own fires, and enjoyed an incredibly fun weekend.

2 comments:

  1. oh. my. goodness!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE the whole story and especially all the beautiful pictures! So nice to get away... can't wait until we are all at the beach together, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMGoodness..soooo many great pictures.think I might just have to order them all ;-O Especially love the little toes on the firepit and Jack's cute smile;-D Definitely have to put this on our "to do" list when we're back in CA...think I can squeeze into that top bunk;-D

    ReplyDelete