Saturday, August 28, 2010

A Generous Customer

Two weeks ago I received an email from a friend of a friend of Joanne's asking if I could make a baby shower cake for 100 people!  The size I knew would be overwhelming, for I had only made one cake that big before and I wasn't very happy with the outcome, but nevertheless... I was willing to take on the challenge!

After a few emails back and forth, my new customer put the order on hold to wait for her daughter-in-law to choose the cake she wanted out of the few I had emailed her.  Long story short... she finally contacted me this past Tuesday night asking if it wasn't too late to order the cake for Saturday.  Even though I knew I didn't have enough time to create an absolute perfect cake, there was no way I could say no to a paying customer so early into my little business venture... so I replied "yes".  

Given such a short notice I knew I was going to get stressed out!  But realizing that I had to take my Mom to the airport on Saturday, meant pushing up the delivery date to Friday... and leaving me with only 2 nights to complete this cake!!!  Needless to say... I was pulling my hair out! (so to speak!)

But in the end, I held it together, didn't panic, and somehow managed to turn out a pretty decent looking cake!  It certainly wasn't my best work... but it was good experience, a nice paycheck, and under the circumstances, it turned out a lot better than I anticipated!


My customer was extremely grateful I was willing to take on such a hefty order given the late notice as she knew I have a full time job.  She was willing to meet me half way with the delivery, but the price included delivery and I didn't want her to be responsible if something happened to the cake... so my Mom drove the 45 miles while I carefully held and balanced the cake on my lap!


We arrived at the house (that looked like it belonged in a magazine!), and met with the hosts (customers).  They were both very kind and could not have been more welcoming.  The husband took the 25 pound cake from my arms while the wife handed me a check and showed us inside so we could see where the cake would be displayed.  She even offered us a tour which we regretfully declined.  Their home was absolutely gorgeous and it was all my Mom & I could think (and talk) about!  I was so blown away at how beautiful their house was, that I had totally forgotten about the cake we had just delivered and the check I was given!  It wasn't until we were already on the highway when I remembered about the check and glanced down just to confirm the amount.  Much to my surprise... my new generous customer had given me a $100 tip!!!  Not a bad way to start the weekend! 

Thanks to my Mom for staying with me and helping me out in the kitchen!  Not sure I could have done it without you!  Love you, safe travels, and will see you soon!   

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful Baby Shower Cake. Can you believe the power of the "Forward" key? I am so jazzed Irene forwarded your Rainbow Cake to all her friends. The sky is the limit and you are on your way!

    ReplyDelete