Monday, July 4, 2011

Name of Honor

After considerable deliberation and going back and forth with a lot of second guessing, Jeilene & I have finally decided upon a name for our first child! We've decided to name our son after two great men whose time expired far too early.  

I never got to meet Dad-Oh's brother, Uncle Allen, but if he was anything like his father, Deda, or his brother, Dad-Oh, I have no doubt that I would've thoroughly enjoyed his company! Uncle Allen's birth name was Hampton Allen Etheridge III, named after his father and his grandfather... but everyone called him and was always referred to as Allen.  

Like his father, Allen joined the military where he became known as "Captain" Hampton Allen Etheridge III. Allen was incredibly bright, smart and intelligent... but more than anything, I believe Allen was amazingly brave, courageous and patriotic, for he made the ultimate sacrifice and died in Vietnam fighting for his country.          


The one uncle I did get to meet was Moe-Joe's brother, Jess Ferrell.  Uncle Jess was larger than life to me... and that's pretty much how I thought he lived his life. With me being so young, and the fact that we didn't get to spend a lot of time together, I unfortunately can't recall too many memories of us together. But of those that I can, I just remember always being so happy around him and thinking how much I wanted to be like him when I grew up!

Uncle Jess had a big personality, but had an even bigger heart that was filled with lots of love. He loved his family and loved living life to its fullest. But in the end, it was that big heart of his that just couldn't handle all that love. After having problems with his old heart, Jess received a heart transplant... but after a short time adjusting his aged and seasoned body to his new younger heart, it just wasn't meant to be and Uncle Jess past away shortly thereafter.

 
So in honor of these two great men who meant so much to so many, who loved as much and as best as they knew how, and who gave up more than they should have... Jeilene and I feel privileged & honored to name our son after them.  May he be brave and courageous like Hampton Allen Etheridge III was, may he live life to its fullest with a big heart and lots of love like Jess Ferrell did, and may he never forget where his name came from.

Allen Jess Etheridge
 ...a name of honor! 
  

3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful tribute and amazing honor for Dado and me! We are so moved and touched that our little "Butterbean" will carry on the names of two people who meant so much to us......

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow.
    That is totally awesome!
    You guys are the best - I love you so!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alec and Jeilene, what a way to honor two wonderful men who meant alot to the family. Your son will feel honored and proud when he finds out where his name came from. Just beautiful. Mandy, guess you did not take all the good names afterall.

    ReplyDelete