Friday, July 13, 2012

Go Daddy Go! (Part 1)

After not having thrown a leg over my dirt bike in well over a year... I made it my goal this year to ride as often as I could, and to ride and be competitive in every single race I entered! Of course in order to be competitive and scrape all that rust off... I had to go out and practice. And unless Jei had something really important to do or somewhere to go, she and Allen accompanied me to the racetracks to cheer me on!


So while I was out on the track practicing hard... Allen & Jei spent the afternoon hanging out on the picnic table watchin', snackin', playin', and nappin'!


"C'mon Daddy... you can go faster than that!"


The first Fire & Police Motocross race was in March at a local track about an hour away.  And even though it was cold and windy, there was no way Jei & Allen were going to miss the first races of the year!


They braved the wind and the chilly temps...
to watch their favorite rider play in the dirt!


For my birthday this year, Jei & Allen spent the afternoon with me at the track for a little practice. And Allen, at just six-months-old, threw a leg over and thought he was ready for some practice laps too!


"Good luck Daddy! Ride fast and don't fall!"


"Hey Dad, where's my bike?"


Some more practice... on a foggy and rainy day.


Although the drizzle was great for the riding conditions... it wasn't so great for spectating, as poor Allen & Jei ended up stuck in the truck for most of the afternoon trying to stay dry. 


Some more practice riding... but this time on a beautiful day in the high desert. We found some shade and then Jei & Allen set up camp in the bed of the truck... where playtime and snack-time ensued as Daddy went off to ride. 


Whether it was playing with Mommy, watching Daddy ride, or just hanging out... Allen Jess loved it all!



The second race of the year was in May at a track about an hour and a half away. The first day was incredibly windy, which made both riding and spectating pretty miserable! Once again, Allen & Jei made the trip with me... but after enduring the winds and all the sand, dirt, dust and grime that came with it, I'm sure they wished they had stayed back home instead!

"It's too windy Dad... I'll just watch from here!"



Allen and his Momma braved the winds... and paid for it too! By the end of the day, Allen (along with everyone else!) was absolutely covered in sand & dirt... and he didn't even race! But a little dirt here & there (EVERYWHERE!) didn't bother him, for he was a super good sport about it... especially when he got to play with Daddy's medals.


After a much needed shower, a hearty meal, and a comfortable rest at a local hotel, we woke up the second day to a 180 degree difference from the previous day! The weather was gorgeous and the wind was just about nonexistent! A perfect day for racing!


Allen was happy about the much improved weather that day...
but was even happier about getting to watch his Daddy ride!



"And then you hit that jump and flew up in the air and then went really fast Dad! It was awesome! Now when do I get to try?"



Another afternoon at the practice track...
And another family outing watching Daddy ride.


Allen paying close attention to all of Daddy's prep work! 


"No seriously Dad... where's MY bike?"


"No bike? Fine... then I'll just take your helmet and goggles
and slobber all over them!"


Me and my boy hanging out at the track together...
I must say, life is pretty darn good!


With half the year already over, I've gotten in four races and lots of practice... so not only do I feel super confident about my riding, but my goal of riding and racing more this year has certainly been reached! With summer in full swing now, I only have just one race to prepare for and it's the biggest one of the year. But without Jei & Allen there cheering me on during all the practice sessions and all the races, I know riding just wouldn't be as fun. And if we as a family continue to go to all the races together throughout the year in support of my fun, expensive and dangerous hobby... then slummin' it in the back of the truck and in hotels just isn't going to cut it anymore, and a major upgrade will definitely have to be made...  

1 comment: