October 12, 2009... Alec & I celebrate our first full year of marriage bliss together! And that one year was just about all it took... until we both sat down, had a long talk, and decided that our little family of two just wasn't big enough!
So, a few months after making "the big decision" ...and dealing with prenatal vitamin overloads, ovulation predictors, LOTS of practice, and countless pregnancy tests... Sunday, February 7th, was the last possible day for "aunt flow" to visit that cycle. Hopeful that she wouldn't arrive and that Alec had lost count of the cycle, I remained optimistic and went on about my week. Putting off yet another disappointing negative test was easy, especially since Alec was working nights and there was no vodka, beer, or wine in the house. (hee-hee!)
I had decided I would wait to test again over Valentine's Day weekend so that Alec and I could find out together... but come Tuesday night I got super anxious and started to panic for fear of how it might play out: "We'd anxiously wait for the result together with white-knuckled hands grasped with one another, praying to God out loud begging him for two little lines to appear, with our emotions getting the better of us and ending up one uncontrollably excited mess! Then suddenly the single "negative" line appears, my heart breaks, I hang my head in defeat, and I burst into irrepressible tears!" Well, as you can imagine, that's not exactly the way I wanted that particular moment in my life to happen. So I immediately rushed to the bathroom and took out the last test I had and prayed as hard as I could and waited ever so impatiently! Almost immediately, and to my absolute astonishment... two "positive" lines appeared! I began jumping up and down in excitement, clapping and screaming, and seriously not believing there was nobody there in that bathroom to share such an amazing moment with!
Now came the hard part: how to tell Alec the wonderful news?! After much thought, my creative juices began to flow and knew exactly how I wanted him to find out. I emptied out a stationary box (the kind with the clear plastic lids), and stuffed it with tissue paper. I then carefully placed the test on top and put the clear lid back on. Of course I wrapped it, tied a big bow, made it look nice & pretty, and then placed it on the bathroom counter for him to see when he came home that night in the wee hours of the morning...
As I heard him pull into the driveway and walk up the stairs... I did my best to control my excitement, pretend I was sleeping, and prayed he couldn't see my heart pounding from underneath the covers! He walked into the bathroom and I anxiously awaited his reaction! Expecting him to burst out of the bathroom yelling & screaming in excitement... I was somewhat disappointed & perplexed. Instead, all I heard was some shuffling of the gift paper, running water from the sink, and the sound of him brushing his teeth! Finally (after he finished brushing his teeth!), he slowly came out of the bathroom, noticed that I was sitting up waiting for him with the biggest smile I could possibly make on my face, and looked at me in complete & total disbelief and asked, "Is this for real?" Definitely one of the best moments we've ever shared! ...so far anyway! =)

No comments:
Post a Comment