Saturday, December 4, 2010

Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft

My first official day here in lovely Roswell, New Mexico was a Monday, so I took the day to sleep in of course... and then got acquainted with my new temporary home, started to unpack, and kept our Key-Dens company!  On Tuesday, I got up early all excited about getting out of the house, exploring the city... and of course, looking for a J-O-B!  But my excitement quickly came to an end when I realized that the most popular bakery in town seldom makes fondant cakes and unfortunately they didn't need another decorator.  A total bummer... but I did actually enjoy going in as I swear this store was the headquarters for CakeWrecks!  And then I found out the second most popular bakery isn't hiring either... and then things didn't get any better when bakeries three and four were nowhere to be found! But just about the only good thing that came out of my bakery witch-hunt was that I got a chance to get acquainted with one of the strangest towns I've ever been in!

As I left the house that day, I was fully aware of Roswell's little & only niche... the visiting Aliens from outer-space that just so happened to crash here (allegedly) over 60 years ago!  So I knew the town was pretty proud of their Aliens... but I just wasn't aware as to exactly what extent.  For some strange reason, I kind of figured Roswell to be this small charming all-American town... but very soon into my exploring I realized I was wrong and it felt more dull, old, and smelly than anything!  

But don't get me wrong... I'm certainly not complaining!  It was my idea to come out here and I wanted to be in this small smelly town, so I'll take the good with the bad!  And speaking of the good... I am in fact jobless right now (unfortunately), but that just gives me more time to explore... so in every outing there is always something new to discover!  

The other day on my way to Walmart, I stopped "downtown" to walk around with the tourists and check out a few of the Alien nick-nack stores.  The first one I entered looked worse than a Salvation Army store and had an overwhelming smell of mold inside!  Needless to say, I was in and out of that one.  The second shop was pretty much the same, except that their air freshener of choice was cigarette smoke!  After being very disappointed and quickly leaving that store... I thought to myself, "do I dare try a third?"  There was one last shop I wanted to try, so I took my chances... and I was happy I did, as this was actually a very pleasant shop... so much so that it totally made me want to buy something, but I just couldn't see myself having a good use for an Alien antenna ball or an Alien clad shot glass! So although I didn't walk away with any cool Roswell/Alien memorabilia that day...  I did manage to snap a few shots of this crazy Alien infested town:

Even the light posts are decked out in "Alien"!

The cheesy Alien decor isn't just in the touristy area of town either!
Oh no... it's everywhere!!!  Yes, even at KFC! 


Now how polite would it be if fast food establishments like Arby's didn't welcome the little fellas from outer-space?  After traveling for 65 light years... I'm sure a good roast beef sandwich would really hit the spot!  


Oh... and check these out!  Who could resist going in here and buying some top quality furniture with Alien greeters like these?!?!  Alec and I have got to go in there and buy something someday!


You'll have to excuse the dirty windshield... but is this Alien decor at Walmart really necessary?  I think we get the point already!


I have to admit... with all the strange Alien decor around, my eyes & face lit up the most when I saw a Bank of America of all things!  As you'll notice in the picture below, it's an actual building and it just so happens to be the tallest in Roswell.  Yeah, I know... why get all excited about a tall building... but to tell you the truth, it just makes me feel a bit more like home (a real city), and a little less like being in the middle of nowhere!   


And in case you were wondering... I really wanted the song "Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft" by The Carpenters to play while readers enjoyed this post.  But unfortunately, neither Alec or I could figure out exactly how to do that... but again, in case you were wondering, feel free to open it up in another tab/window and enjoy!  

No comments:

Post a Comment