Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Alive and Kicking!

I had my last doctor's appointment here in Roswell on Monday (Yippeee!)... and although I was excited to hear the baby's heartbeat again, I was super disappointed to find out  I was seeing the unpleasant doctor I saw the last time.  Fortunately for me though, I found that getting mentally prepared for his crummy attitude ended up being a good distraction from my nervousness!  

As I made my way back towards the room, I was pleasantly surprised to be greeted by my favorite nurse, Jennifer... as she is super sweet and so easy to talk to!  As soon as I told her about my fears & paranoia about something always being wrong, she immediately suggested that we hear the baby first (that is, before questions and blood pressure was taken).  

So there I was laying on the table with my shirt pulled up when suddenly I noticed myself breaking out into a cold sweat and thinking, "Please baby be alive!"  (Remember... it was at this point, week 15, last year that we found out the horrible news!)  And then what felt like an absolute instant... all my fears, nervousness, and paranoia about the baby not "being there" completely vanished and the biggest smile ever was firmly planted on my face!    

Within seconds of placing the Doppler wand on my belly, there it was... "Whoosh, whoosh, whoosh" ...the unmistakable sound of Butterbean's rapid little heart beating at a solid 143 beats per minute!  Surprisingly, we also heard a strange "thump" noise, which turned out to be a kick believe it or not, from little Butterbean as explained from the nurse.  Suddenly it was silent and all the "whooshing" and "thumping" stopped!  The nurse moved the wand around and bam, there it was again.  She found the heartbeat and we enjoyed listening for a few seconds of it there, and then again it disappeared, so again we had to go and find it.  We both very much enjoyed playing with baby as he/she moved around!  It was such an amazing experience and I was so happy and relieved to hear a strong and healthy heartbeat!

Speaking of "he/she", after the Doppler was put away, out of nowhere, Jennifer the nurse wanted to let it be known that she thinks baby #3 is a boy! (Judging by my body shape and the baby's heart beats per minute)  She claims to have only been wrong once in her career... so she felt pretty confident in her prediction, but still made me promise to call and let her know if she was right!

After a very happy and satisfying appointment, I couldn't wait to get to the car and call Alec to let him know that Butterbean sounded great and was actually pretty active!  Needless to say, he was very excited too and wished he had been there!  Oh, and the other good news: I gained only two pounds this last month putting me at 133.6 pounds... which is really good considering my diet lately consists of frozen waffles, hotdogs and a lettuce leaf here and there!
Week 16, here we come!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment