The restaurant business is not an easy business to get into... nor is it very easy to be successful. (It's amazing what you learn watching TV shows like Restaurant: Impossible and Kitchen Nightmares!) So when Jorge literally left home to try and open up his own restaurant so that he could provide for his family, the odds weren't exactly in his favor! But through sheer determination, passion and courage, Mariscos y Carnes Del Patio in Texcoco, Mexico is now a reality... and I'm no restauranteur or professional food critic, but I think it is very successful with some of the best food I've ever had!
Located just outside of Mexico City in a small town called Texcoco, the restaurant sits on some prime real estate... right across from the mall! So if you don't feel like having a Big Mac at McDonald's... you can walk across the street and have yourself a shrimp taco to die for!
We may have missed a day or two... but going to the restaurant was definitely something to look forward to when we did decide to go out and eat. Sure, the food certainly had something to do with it, but I think just all of us there together really made being at the restaurant so special and fun!
Of course we weren't the only ones who liked going! Allen Jess may have not tried the delicious food... but he liked going just as much, for he was just happy to be with his family!
Naturally though, he felt the most comfortable and actually quite important when he'd get to hangout with none other than the owner and the chef of the restaurant!
"Now don't go around telling anybody... but just because they brought you, your parents can eat for free! But if they didn't bring you, I totally would've charged them!"
Speaking of eating... Allen was all excited to try the whole eating from a spoon thing again!
And speaking of excited... Michele couldn't wait to get that tiny spoon out and feed that little baby!
Jorge didn't make the food...
but he did a good job making sure Allen's service was up to par!
Leo was right there watching Allen enjoy his meal...
and making sure to lend a hand when needed!
A fed boy is a happy boy!
I'm not sure who enjoyed it more... Allen or Michele?
Actually, I think I enjoyed it more than both of them! I really wasn't involved, but being such a new experience for me and all, I just got the biggest kick out of seeing my son eat from a spoon and having Michele feeding it to him!
Allen Jess certainly wasn't the only one getting mouth fulls of food!
Jorge scared Allen to thinking that if he didn't eat all of his meal,
then the Claw was going to get him!
"Hmmm... should I go with the shrimp cocktail, shrimp tacos, carne asada tacos, or a combination of all three? And if I do get tacos... how many should I get? Will five fill me up or should I just get four and play it safe?" Decisions, decisions, decisions!
Sofia & Allen... enjoying each others company, not being in school, the restaurant, the wonderful weather, and of course, Sofia's fashion ideas!
My food was taking way too long to come out... so I went back to the kitchen to complain! Michele was obviously to blame, so I took it easy on her!
After William won the first staring contest...
Allen Jess demanded a rematch!
Jorge made sure Allen Jess knew how his Mommy & Daddy's food was being prepared... and gave him the full tour of the kitchen!
I'd be smiling too...
if I were sitting on some pretty girl's lap!
"Be quiet Nino! Nina's trying to tell me something!"
Mmmmmmmm... Coke from a bottle in Mexico!
I don't know why it tastes so much better, but it does!
If you're a shrimp lover, and a bacon lover, and happen to find yourself on death row requesting your last meal... this would be it!!!
William & Allen keeping a watchful eye out...
on the rare occasion a pretty lady walks by!
"What... you've never seen a white baby before? Just keep walking pal. Don't make me sic this tall guy with glasses on you!"
While William used Allen to try and impress the ladies that walked by... Leo was more interested in how they looked with their hats on.
After a short debate, it was decided that Allen Jess would be the new spokesman for the restaurant... sombrero and taco and all!
Michele had had enough of Jorge monkeying around with Allen... so she quickly grabbed and put him on her shoulders and showed she could monkey around with the best of them!
Our last few hours with the family before heading back stateside...
and where do you think we spent it??? The restaurant of course!
Jorge & Allen Jess share one last good hug together.
We graciously thanked Jorge for all the wonderful food and for putting up with us for so long... as we said our goodbyes and left the restaurant with our bellies full and wishing we could've brought some of that delicious food on the plane with us!
Thirty minutes later and we were at the airport...
where the kids wanted to get one last picture with Allen.
We thanked Michele again for such an awesome visit...
gave hugs and kisses all around...
and then waved goodbye!
We boarded the plane and we were all smiles! Not because we were leaving wonderful family behind in Mexico... but because Jeilene and I finally got to see, hold and play with our baby again!
As the plane's engines roared and we lifted up into the air, Allen Jess peeked out the window and began to miss his wild & crazy family in Mexico... while his parents began to miss all that remarkable food at the restaurant!
If you ever find yourself in Mexico City or even at the airport there with a long layover, do yourself a favor... make the short trip to Texcoco, treat yourself to a mouthwatering plate of deliciousness, and be sure to give the owners a big bear hug from us! Thanks again Michele & Jorge for such a great time... and hopefully it won't take the birth of another child before we come visit you guys again!
























You should post something on Trip Advisor! Can't wait to try it all myself!!!!!
ReplyDelete