Ever since moving into the new house and eventually getting to explore the neighborhood with walks and bike rides, I had always been curious as to the meaning and/or the significance of the white stars that were randomly painted on the streets throughout the neighborhood. And then one day earlier this year while on a walk, Alec mentioned that he finally figured out what those strange white stars were for. He said a buddy from work had told him that the stars painted on the streets around the neighborhood represent stopping points for Santa Claus when he visits the neighborhood children in December. Of course that was the silliest thing I had ever heard and totally didn't believe him... and would even poke fun at him for his crazy idea that Santa would take the time to visit each and every star around our neighborhood and even the city. But after doing some research online and asking around the neighborhood, I realized I had to eat a big plate of crow... for Alec was absolutely right!
Needless to say, I could not wait until the day Santa came to visit our star... which is just a hop-skip-and a jump down the street from our house. So I looked up the date online, circled the calendar, and told Alec that he better not miss this opportunity to accompany Allen and I to go meet Santa in our very own neighborhood! The city website stated that Santa would show up between 5:30pm and 9pm and that they would announce his arrival around the neighborhood by playing, "Here Comes Santa Clause" from some sort of mobile loudspeaker. Naturally, I was skeptical about hearing it from inside the house and was scared we would miss Santa... so although it was rather chilly outside, I made sure several windows were open and that Allen was content so as to not throw a screaming fit and drown out Santa's music! It was actually kind of a crummy day - rainy, cloudy & cold, so I wasn't sure if Santa was going to cancel his visit... but the three of us were bundled up and ready to go regardless! All of a sudden, I hear something... and then I go outside to confirm... and then run back inside yelling like a crazy lady, "I hear the music... I hear the music... Santa's coming!!!" as if I was five years old again! So Alec runs down and grabs the stroller and I grab my clueless child and we head out the door with smiles on our faces and eager to have Santa meet our cute little boy!
Needless to say, I could not wait until the day Santa came to visit our star... which is just a hop-skip-and a jump down the street from our house. So I looked up the date online, circled the calendar, and told Alec that he better not miss this opportunity to accompany Allen and I to go meet Santa in our very own neighborhood! The city website stated that Santa would show up between 5:30pm and 9pm and that they would announce his arrival around the neighborhood by playing, "Here Comes Santa Clause" from some sort of mobile loudspeaker. Naturally, I was skeptical about hearing it from inside the house and was scared we would miss Santa... so although it was rather chilly outside, I made sure several windows were open and that Allen was content so as to not throw a screaming fit and drown out Santa's music! It was actually kind of a crummy day - rainy, cloudy & cold, so I wasn't sure if Santa was going to cancel his visit... but the three of us were bundled up and ready to go regardless! All of a sudden, I hear something... and then I go outside to confirm... and then run back inside yelling like a crazy lady, "I hear the music... I hear the music... Santa's coming!!!" as if I was five years old again! So Alec runs down and grabs the stroller and I grab my clueless child and we head out the door with smiles on our faces and eager to have Santa meet our cute little boy!
We weren't the first ones at the star... but we were early enough to have prime position to watch Santa come down the street in his sleigh! I don't think Allen had a clue... but he very patiently waited, for he knew something was going down because there were small little kids running around everywhere!
We kept telling him that Santa was on his way... but I think Allen was still a little skeptical! After all, it wasn't Christmas, there was no Chimney, there was no snow, no tree, no fancy mall... just a weird random star painted on the street! (The big visit also functioned as a toy/food drive... so we made sure to bring a bag packed for the not-so-fortunate!)
We weren't waiting long before Santa made his grand arrival! But it appeared that Allen's parents were more exited to see the big jolly fella than he was... for all Allen was interested in was watching all the kids around him play on their scooters and skateboards!
We weren't real sure what to expect, so it ended up being a cool surprise to see Santa get off his sleigh and let all the children sit on his lap for pictures... while a small choir sang Christmas carols for the duration of the visit on Santa's Sleigh.
"Okay Allen, looks like you're next! Now remember what Mommy told you... make sure when Santa asks what you want for Christmas, you tell him all new cake pans! Got it?!"
And just as Allen finally got his chance to sit on Santa's lap,
he immediately spotted Rudolph and an Elf!
he immediately spotted Rudolph and an Elf!
We weren't really sure how many people would show up... but were actually kind of surprised to see just how many who did! It was definitely a good thing that we were on the ball and one of the first ones there... which made visiting Santa, one of his Elves, and Rudolph a lot easier and that much more pleasant. But whether first in line or last, it still was a good time!
Thanks for the early visit Santa, see you in Florida!






No comments:
Post a Comment