Monday, December 10, 2012

Let's Race


We found ourselves at the Fire & Police Motocross races once again back in mid September... and with only about a week or so before his first birthday, we were hoping Allen would start walking by then, but that obviously didn't happen... so Allen was stuck crawling in the dirt! (Something tells me he knows exactly what he's doing!)

"Bye Allen... I'm off to go racing again. Wish me luck!"


"Oh no... Daddy's in a tight race... I can't watch!"


September in Southern California means some pretty warm weather. Fortunately for us, one of our friends brought a portable A/C unit... in the form of a blow-up pool, which seemed like a fantastic idea at the time. 


"Mom says Daddy's out there somewhere...
but I just don't see him. They all look alike to me!"


Allen & I going over some racing strategy together
as we watch the bikes go round & round.


Mommy & Allen had some pretty good seats to watch all the action.


I may not ride very well... but at least I look good doing it!


"I just don't see what the big deal is...
it really doesn't look all that hard to me!"


Did I mention it was hot?! Allen had the right idea...
shirt off and in the shade!


"Come on Dad... you gettin' in or not?!"


"Holy moly... that's frickin' cold!"


"Okay Dad... you first! Water feels great!"



If you ride dirt-bikes... it's pretty much automatic that you're not very bright! Case-in-point... we decided to set up the pool and fill it up underneath all the shade. Of course that's great if you don't want the sun hitting you... but not so great if you want the water to be anywhere near luke warm! Needless to say, the water was freezing... but it still felt good at the end of a long race.


Nap time! With Mr. Giraffe of course.


"Hellooooo... bottle anyone?!?!"


This kid sure does have it rough, doesn't he?!


After the second race... I just couldn't resist! And although I tried my best to convince Allen to get in with me, he wasn't having any part of that cold water!


Allen & I hanging out watching Finding Nemoas we wait for Mommy to finish slaving away in the kitchen preparing our dinner.


Day two brought more sunshine, warm weather, and a lot more racing!



"I believe I can fly..."


"Come on Daddy! Last place is for losers!!!"



Hmmm... first place or last.
I'll let you decide.


Allen keeping a sharp eye out...
waiting for his Daddy to return from racing.


Another fun & successful camping trip at the races!


Fast forward two months... and we're back at it again for the final races of the year. Not much has changed in two months... but the one thing that did was the weather! Instead of scorching hot afternoons, we got cool comfortable breezy ones which were very much welcomed!


With cooler temperatures out...
Allen preferred to eat his lunch inside.


"You're not in trouble Allen...
just tell us where you hid Daddy's goggles please!"


On the starting line and ready to rock n' roll... praying I don't stall my bike when the gates drop! (That's the worst!)


"Good luck Dad! And whatever you do... don't stall it on the line!"


Meanwhile... Allen pretends he's racing too!


All that walking around and pushing sure does build up an appetite!


After a long day and a big meal...
Allen & I relax a little and watch a movie before bedtime.


"Hey! Ya mind?! Enough with the flash already...
you're killing my movie here!"


The next day Allen was all about exploring...


He had his two feet, his trusty walker, and a smile on his face.


Just as happy as could be!
So we just left him alone.


"Allen? ...Allen! ...Hello? ...come back child!"


"Sorry Dad... can't stop for any pics... gotta keep on movin'!"


Allen was a great cheerleader and did a good job cheering me on!


"I don't know Dad... I really think you can go faster than that!"


Until of course Mommy brought out a bag of chips...
and then it was all about the munchies.


No broken bones, a new trailer, and even a few first place finishes... if you ask me, it certainly was a great year of racing! But as much fun as it was, it wouldn't nearly be as fun if I didn't have my two favorite people with me... cheering me on and sharing in my triumphs and in my defeats. Riding and racing dirt-bikes is amazingly fun, but spending time with my son, playing with him at all the different races, and especially getting to watch him grow so fast right before my eyes is truly amazing... and  it's what makes it all worth while!

Race 1

Race 8

No comments:

Post a Comment