Thursday, December 15, 2011

Opening Day

It was an early morning... but definitely one we were all excited about! We put on our long-johns, got all our gear ready, and made sure Allen Jess was properly dressed and fed...


And then we all piled into the Flex with smiles on our faces, for we would soon be at our destination...


Steamboat Springs, Colorado!!!
It was opening day at the ski resort, and with lift tickets just $25 (rather than the regular $100), it really would've been dumb not to go!


Skis, boots, poles, bags, oh and a Baby... 
definitely made for a challenging hike down to the lodge!


Jei & I totally missed ski season last year with us being in New Mexico, so we... okay, so maybe not Jei so much, but I was definitely excited and looking forward to getting back on a mountain again!


The snow wasn't all that great... but I don't think any of us really cared! It was a gorgeous day and the five of us were ready to rock n' roll!


Hamp & Sam had all their new gear and were ready to show me their skills!


Meanwhile... Allen Jess was put in his crazy warm arctic suit for the day to hang outside with his Momma while the rest of us enjoyed the slopes! 

Before heading up the mountain, Sammy made sure his little Cousin was nice & warm and asked him to wish him luck! 


The big boys were ready and all excited to tear the mountain up together...


But before we could go out on our own, we had to spend some time with the little ones!



The 'High-Ridge' family getting off the very first lift of the day & the season!


With a view like this, it was hard A. to not run into somebody while looking at it, and B. to not to enjoy yourself!


Mandi & Sammy enjoying a leisure run down their favorite bunny slope.


This was Sammy's second year skiing, but already he looked like a seasoned vet!


Of course once Allen Jess saw Sammy come down the mountain as good as he did, he perked right up and said, "Hey, that looks like fun! I wanna do that!"


But then he remembered he was too little and fell right back asleep in Momma's arms... but not before Hamp came over to give him some love.

After a few gnarly runs tearin' up all that snow...
it was clear Sammy needed a break!


And of course some snacks to refuel for round two!


And then it was game on! 
Sammy sits focused, planning out his line for his next run.


And this time it was Jason who got the call, giving Mandi a break and enjoying a nice slow ride down the mountain with his son.


But then finally, the big kids got to go off on our own and play on the mountain!


And it was lots of fun!!!


But then later in the day, I traded out Jason for Mandi and got to ski with my big Sis again, which we hadn't gotten to do in a very long time! 


But I think the highlight of the day for me was finally getting to ski with my Nephew Hampton!






After Hamp showed me how it's done, there was nothing left to do but call it a day. So I came down and told Jei she couldn't hog Allen the entire day!


But she just couldn't stay away for long. I'm pretty sure the little guy was her portable little heater that kept her nice & warm all day!


Sammy just about had all the skiing he could handle for one day (he certainly wasn't the only one!), so we made our last runs, took off our boots, and packed it up for the day.


While patiently waiting for the girls and the baby to get back from the bathroom, I think Sammy was practicing being a bum with his change cup on the ground and all... but whatever he was doing, I don't think Jason was very amused by his behavior. But not so surprisingly, I found it quite hysterical!


Opening day on a beautiful day at Steamboat Springs...
Good times!!!


I don't think there's a better way to end a perfect day of skiing on the mountain with family than with a good hearty meal and an ice cold beer!!!  CHEERS!

No comments:

Post a Comment