
The day after Thanksgiving in Meeker, Colorado just might be one of the best days of the year! Mandi & Jason have made it a very cool tradition each year to go out to the nearby national forrest the day after Thanksgiving and cut down their very own Christmas tree! I know that sounds completely ridiculous to most of us... considering we go out to the nearest hardware store or local tree lot in the city to buy our Christmas tree... but that's not exactly how they do things northwest Colorado! When we were all together for Thanksgiving a couple of years ago, we did exactly that... go out and cut down the 'High-Ridge's' Christmas tree. So when Black Friday hit this year and while everyone else in the big cities were out shopping... we were getting geared up and excited to go out Christmas tree hunting!
Did I mention that we were (really) excited!?!?
It didn't take long before we turned down a dirt road and saw the sign for "Now entering the White River National Forrest". It wasn't snowing but it was wet & muddy... and when we got to where we thought we'd have the best chance at finding the perfect Christmas tree, there just so happened to be a big snowy meadow just begging us to go play in it! And little did my passengers know... that was exactly what I was going to do!
All of a sudden, I felt like I was the only kid in the truck... as I methodically went round and round like a mad man making snow doughnuts while screaming out, "Yee-Hawww" and laughing hysterically! I'm just glad I wasn't the only one in the truck who thought that was the coolest & the most fun thing in the world... as Hamp, Sam and Dad-Oh all loved it and were screaming & laughing with me, while Moe-Joe kept a death-grip on Allen's seat and was too petrified to notice it was all in good fun! And last but not least, the fifth passenger, Allen Jess, was out cold and didn't even budge or open an eye despite all the noise and the movement! That's my boy!
Not like I did it specifically for them... but I think I got some pretty valuable brownie points with Hamp & Sammy! But if nothing else... it certainly made my day!
Once we parked and all got out together in the snow, everyone had smiles on their faces and were all glad to be out in the forrest!
We of course brought Gabe along for the adventure... and he was just as happy as we were, if not more, to be out playing in the snow!
I think more than anything, we all just really loved being out in such a middle of nowhere beautiful place! All the snow, trees and the mountains... it really made for some great pictures!
Allen Jess may have been asleep for the ride... but once he felt that cold air hit his little face, he managed to stay awake for all the family fun in the snow.
Hamp, Sam & Gabe...
I'm pretty sure they'd be miserable growing up anywhere else!
Jason & Hampton wasted no time in getting the mission underway... and just like that, the search was on!
It didn't take long before a tree was found and a consensus was made that that was indeed going to be their Christmas tree! And luckily for the chopper and the hauler of the tree (Jason), they found one pretty darn close to the road.
A few strokes of the saw and... "TIMBER!" Jason had that tree cut and ready to haul in no time! While the rest of us just watched and clapped and felt really useless.
"I'm a lumberjack, yes I am!"
Mission accomplished!!! The perfect tree was found, cut, dragged, and thrown in the back of the truck to haul off, where it will be given a loving home and some great decorations!
After the tree mission was over, there was only one thing left to do: take lots of good family pictures!
We found the perfect spot to take some really incredible photos of the family and snapped away!
You would've thought we brought along a professional with us... but not surprisingly, Mandi & her camera did the job quite magnificently!
Brothers, Sisters, Cousins and a dog!
I knew we should've brought the cats!!!
Our wonderful hosts, chefs, entertainers, and guides... the 'High-Ridge' Family! Just doesn't get any better than that! Okay, so maybe if the dog had been looking straight ahead... but still, it's a great photo!
Sammy was in quite the exploring mood, so he took Moe-Joe and Gabe up the hill to see what they could see... while Allen Jess and Jei had just about enough of the cold and walked back down to the warm truck.
They got to about as far as they (Moe-Joe) could go... and it just so happened to be a perfect spot for a great picture.
Not sure we could've asked for a better day... good weather, a great breakfast, snow doughnuts, nobody got stuck, found the perfect tree, and got some outstanding pictures of the family! No stress, lots of fun, and hanging with family... I'll take that kind of Black Friday over the other any day!









No comments:
Post a Comment